Monday, January 5, 2009

The Beginning of My Journey - November 2008


First of all, I want to thank Felisa Davis-Stein for setting up this blog page for me. I would also like to give a big thanks to my friend Sandra Fouty for sending email updates to my friends. She's been right by my side every step of the way. Of course there are other friends - too many to list - who've been very supportive. Please know your love and support means everything to me. My friends and family are the bright spot of my life.

From now on, I hope this blog will help keep everyone informed.

The beginning of my journey with breast cancer started on Saturday, November 8, 2008 when I discovered a lump in my right breast. I went to my general doctor on Monday, November 10th. On Tuesday, November 18th I had a mammogram, ultrasound, and five biopsies at the Breast Diagnostic Center. On Thursday, November 20th I was diagnosed with DCIS (Ductal Carcinoma in Situ - noninvasive breast cancer). On Monday, November 24th I had lumpectomy surgery. On Tuesday, December 2nd I found out the margins weren't clear (cancer cells were still present ) from the surgery. They also found out, from the pathology report from the lumpectomy, the mass tested positive for invasive breast cancer. A second surgery would be necessary to clear the margins.

On Tuesday, December 9th a second surgery - re excision - was performed. I met with the oncologist on Thursday, December 11th and found out I'll have to have 20 weeks of chemo - 16 treatments. I have triple negative breast cancer (if you are interested in knowing what that means you can google it - don't want to bore you with the details). Even though my cancer hasn't spread to the lymph nodes, they're treating me very aggressively like it has - due to the triple negative factor, spreading of the cancer in the same breast and family history.

On Tuesday, December 16th I met with the surgeon and another lump in the same breast was discovered. On Tuesday, December 23rd I had an ultrasound and 4 biopsies on the second lump. Friday, December 26th I found out the biopsy was positive and the surgeon recommended a double mastectomy. After much research and discussion with family and friends - I concurred.

I met with the surgeon, oncologist and plastic surgeon on Tuesday, December 30th to discuss the plan for the next several weeks/months. It was very surreal going over the surgery options with the plastic surgeon. The thought of having my breasts removed is overwhelming - but getting new ones doesn't sound too bad at my age. :0)

I'm meeting with the plastic surgeon today Monday, January 5th to have my history and physical and go over everything prior to surgery. I will have a double mastectomy Tuesday, January 20th at Parkview Main Hospital. I will be in the hospital for a minimum of five days. Visitors are welcome. It helps my spirits to have the people I love around me!

Well, if you've read this far, that's all for now. I'm keeping a positive attitude and know, without a doubt, God is good!! As always, thank you for your love. I feel it daily. Don't hesitate to keep in touch with me. I welcome phone calls, emails, blog comments, etc. I, or someone else, will continue to keep this blog updated.

God Bless!

Love, Mary Jo

1 comment:

  1. My family will be praying for you. You are a beautiful person and full of life.

    Kimra Leman
    (Felisa's Sister)

    ReplyDelete