Friday, February 13, 2009

Saturday Feb. 7th - IPFW "Pink Out"




















I had a very long - but wonderful day today. My day started with my friend MJ (Mary Jane) picking me up and taking me to the IPFW (a local college)"Pink Out" girl's basketball game. The game is a celebration of breast cancer survivors and to raise funds for breast cancer awareness.
We met my friend Sandra at the game. There was a reception before the game for all breast cancer survivors. Even though I'm still "in the process" of surviving - I'm a survivor thus far :0) It was an honor to be amongst so many courageous women -some had been through cancer more than once - I can't imagine. They also recognized all breast cancer survivors at halftime of the basketball game. I participated but it all felt very surreal to me. It's still hard for me to believe I have breast cancer. I'm glad I went to the event. The other women were very inspiring to me.

I didn't want to go home -since I hadn't been out of the house for so long - so we went shopping after the game. It was so nice to feel halfway "normal" for a day. After we went shopping I went home and took a nap. I had been invited to go out that evening -but knew I wouldn't make it without a nap.
That night I went to a concert with my friends Sandra, Karen, Troy, Mike and Brian. The concert was called "Down the Line". Several local bands performed cover songs of various classic artists- ie: Jimmy Hendrix, Bob Marley, The Band, Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye - to name some of them. The purpose of the concert was to raise money for the Embassy Theatre and to support local musicians. I had a fabulous time! I danced - and for those of you who know me - I love to dance!! My friend Ty Causey and his band covered Marvin Gaye. That made things even more special for me. Ty and his girlfriend Lori both have a special place in my heart. It was great to see them and put my arms around them. Actually, I had the opportunity to see a lot of friends I haven't seen for a while. Once again, God is good!!




1 comment:

  1. Mary Jo, we think of you daily and are praying for you. We appreciate knowing how your doing through the blog and are very happy knowing you are getting out of the house and having a great time with friends. Hopefully we can get together soon...even if for just a little bit. We miss you!
    We love you!
    Jake, Felisa, Garrett and Nicolas

    ReplyDelete